This guide will help you setup the D-Link DIR-859 AC1750 wireless router for the first time.
How To Setup D-Link DIR-859
- Plug in a LAN ethernet cable from your modem (there is only one port that will fit) to the yellow Internet port on the router.
- Plug in the power and wait for it to boot up (you may have to press the power button to turn it on)
- Connect to the router’s LAN (black port) or WiFi
- Visit dlinkrouter.local in your browser, if it doesnt automatically open when you open the browser.
- On the Welcome screen, click Next
- Select DHCP Connection (Dynamic IP Address), click Next
- You have two networks to configure (2.4GHz and 5GHz). First two boxes are the Network Names. Next two boxes are the corresponding WiFi passwords. Set them to what you’d like, then click Next.
- Set your administrator password. Click Next.
- On the Summary page, click Next.
- On the Congratulations page, click Finish.
If all is well with your internet service provider, you should be able to get online at this point. If you are having issues getting online, you may be able to use MAC spoofing (aka MAC cloning) to get online. If this MAC cloning process does not work, you will need to contact your ISP to have them help you get online.
How To Configure MAC Cloning On D-Link DIR-859
- Login to your router’s administrative interface.
- Up top, drop down the Settings menu
- Click on Internet
- In the Mac Address Clone box, type your previously installed router’s MAC address in the format XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX
- Click Save
How To Connect To D-Link DIR-859
Via physical LAN cable:
- Plug an ethernet cable into a black LAN port on the back of the router and the other end into your computer.
- Visit dlinkrouter.local in your browser to access the router’s administrative interface.
- The default network names are “dlink-XXXX” and “dlink-XXXX-5GHz” without the quotes and the XXXX part will be some random characters.
- If you can’t remember the WiFi password, you’ll need to login to your router’s administrative interface (probably via physical LAN cable)
Default Passwords For D-Link DIR-859
For the administrative interface, default password is set by you when you set the router up for the first time. If you forget it, you’ll have to reset the router to factory default settings.
For WiFi, the default password is created by you when you first set the router up. Connect to the router via physical LAN cable to change it if you forgot the password (or reset the router settings to factory default and start over).