This guide will help you setup the TP-Link TL-WR940N N450 wireless router for the first time.
How To Setup TP Link TL-WR940N
- Plug in a LAN ethernet cable from your modem (there is only one port that will fit) to the blue Internet port on the router.
- Plug in the power and wait for it to boot up (you may have to press the power button to turn it on)
- Connect to the router’s LAN (yellow port) or WiFi
- Visit tplinkwifi.net in your browser
- The default name is admin and default password is admin to log in.
- On the Quick Setup page, click Next
- Select Dynamic IP (Most Common Cases)
- Select “No, I do NOT need to clone MAC address” (we will do this later if necessary) and click Next
- On the Quick Setup – Wireless page you can leave everything as default. Make sure you make a note of the WiFi password or change it to something you like. Click Next.
- Click Finish
If all is well with your internet service provider, you should be able to get online at this point. If you are having issues getting online, you may be able to use MAC spoofing (aka MAC cloning) to get online. If this MAC cloning process does not work, you will need to contact your ISP to have them help you get online.
How To Configure MAC Cloning On TL-WR940N
- Login to your router’s administrative interface
- On the left side, expand Network
- Click MAC Clone
- In the WAN MAC Address box, type in the MAC address of your old router in the format XX-XX-XX-XX-XX-XX
- Click SAVE
How To Connect To TP-Link TL-WR940N
Via physical LAN cable:
- Plug an ethernet cable into a yellow LAN port on the back of the router and the other end into your computer.
- Visit tplinkwifi.net to access the router’s administrative interface.
- The default network name is “TP-Link_XXXX” without the quotes and the XXXX part will be some random characters.
- If you can’t remember the WiFi password, you’ll need to login to your router’s administrative interface (probably via physical LAN cable)
Default Passwords For TP-Link TL-WR940N
For the administrative interface, default username is admin and password is admin.
For WiFi, the default password is created by you when you first set the router up. Connect to the router via physical LAN cable to change it if you forgot the password (or reset the router settings to factory default and start over).